VillageReach is an NGO that develops solutions to critical health system challenges in low-resource environments, with an emphasis on strengthening the last mile of healthcare delivery. VillageReach combines expertise across public health, technology, and business to bring life-saving innovation new systems, programs and technologies to scale and sustainability in the world’s most underserved communities. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
SCOPE OF WORK
To prepare the 92 COVAX AMC-eligible countries for the delivery and use of COVID-19 vaccines, technical assistance and cold chain needs in countries need to be met in an urgent and efficient manner. To ensure the efficient and impactful use of the recent Board approved USD 150 million from core resources, Gavi conducted a Request for Proposal (RFP) for service providers to submit bids for providing technical support to AMC countries in their preparation for introducing the Covid-19 vaccine across the following programmatic areas:
1. Planning, Coordination
2. Resources amp; Funding
3. Regulatory Aspects
4. Prioritization, Targeting amp; COVID-19 Surveillance
5. Service Delivery Planning
6. Training amp; Supervision
7. Monitoring amp; Evaluation
8. Vaccine, Cold Chain amp; Logistics
9. Safety Surveillance
10. Demand Generation amp; Communication
Following the recently concluded RFP, a systematic, objective and transparent evaluation conducted by an evaluation committee recommended 14 service providers including VillageReach for delivering COVAX-TA to countries across the different programmatic areas during the anticipated period of December 2020 to June 2021. In Cote d’Ivoire, VillageReach has been mandated to provide a system that enables effective identification, analysis and response to rumors regarding COVID vaccine in order to improve vaccine acceptability and thereby favorably impact vaccination uptake.
VillageReach will support the development and implementation of a solution aimed at managing information on health care worker observations, including rumors and misinformation, arising from the delivery of COVID-19 Vaccine in Cote d’Ivoire as well as tracking adverse events relating to the receipt of the COVID-19 Vaccine. Deliverables include:
• Continually monitor and analyze (qualitative amp; quantitative) solution data associated with rumors, misinformation and questions on the COVID 19 vaccine.
• Continually monitor and analyze solution data associated with information on adverse events related to the COVID vaccine.
• Initiate responses to patient questions and comments using solution’s 2-way communication capacities.
• Regularly monitor solution for user engagement, including refinement of data dashboards, key performance indicators and question/comment responses.
• Develop responses to new patient questions and health concerns based on medically accurate understanding of disease processes and vaccine technology.
• Respond to government requests related to usage and deployment of the solution.
• Problem solve needs for continual solution development/refinement as needed.
• Develop weekly reports and presentations of solution data associated with rumors, misinformation and questions on the COVID-19 vaccine for key EPI stakeholders
This Independent consulting engagement will be for a period of 6 months.
The individual who completes this work must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
• Experience in Health System Strengthening Initiatives: Experience working with Cote d’Ivoire ’s health system and working with a variety of stakeholders, including ministries of health and health facility staff, in the areas of program design, implementation or management. Must have strong understanding of the service delivery. Prior experience working on projects involving mhealth applications for vaccine demand generation, vaccine logistics and/or administration strongly preferred.
• Experience in qualitative and quantitative data analysis:
o Qualitative: Specific experience with thematic and content analysis, developing and maintaining codebooks and summarizing large qualitative datasets.
o Quantitative: Experience with basic descriptive statistics and excel
• A clinical background or a combination of education and experience necessary to understand the biological mechanisms between COVID infection and COVID vaccination strong preferred.
• Advanced Computer Literacy Skills: Comfortable in a wide range of advanced knowledge of internet technology including social media platforms. Experience with computer programming languages a plus.
• Communication, customer service and interpersonal skills. Strong communication and cross-cultural management. Persuasive written and verbal communication. Experience working with low-literacy customers/patients. Open mindedness to accommodate the non-traditional mix of disciplines within the team and interpersonal skills to work effectively in partnership with both the private and public sectors and academics on the project and externally.
• Writing and analytical skills. Superb writing skills and the ability to assemble, distill and analyze all necessary information for decision-making, presentations and reports. The TPM will contribute to the development of project deliverables and documentation, including the solution toolkit, deployment tools, reports and others.
• Problem solving, creative thinking, and analytical skills. Ability to anticipate and make smart and consensual decisions under pressure. Ability and confidence to identify and recommend creative solutions to a diverse group of stakeholders. Identifies both opportunities and needs for change. Ability to identify issues or problems and provide a respective solution that is feasible and acceptable to the local context. Comfortable with ambiguity and able to shift focus quickly, dependent on evolving priorities. Explores and shares innovative best practices with others.
• Commitment to the mission. Passion for the mission, including strong commitment to global health, and a belief in the role of private sector solutions to public health systems.
• Personal qualities. Energy, intelligence, diplomacy, proactivity, sound practical judgment and the ability to work independently without supervision.
Education amp; Experience:
• A master’s degree or higher in public health, public policy, medical degree, pharmacy or related field;
• 5+ years of experience working in development or private organization, with familiarity conducting qualitative and quantitative data analysis and with a focus on health systems strengthening programs OR experience working in clinical settings, particularly with experience treating COVID patients.
• Consultant will need to be present in Abidjan to perform work.
• Excellent command of Microsoft Office 2016 or 2013 (with focus on Excel, Word and Powerpoint). A test will be conducted to assess.
• Excellent written and verbal communication in French and English.
• Solid programmatic and organizational planning skill is highly desirable.
• Ability to work collaboratively and collegially in an inter-agency and geographically dispersed team.
• Ability to be self-directed, prioritize and perform multiple tasks, problem-solve, and work under pressure.